Tuesday, February 3, 2015

Website Arcade Section Idea.

I am thinking of making an arcade section on my website detailing the hardware that I own. There idea here would not only be to show off what I have but to also share the knowledge that I have acquired in the process of getting it working. Unlike console games getting each piece of arcade hardware working (in a home setting) is not always straight forward and I feel that this section of the website could really serve as resource for people who are in the same boat I used to be in. Basically something to help people who want to try out the idea of getting arcade games working at home but might not want the headache of having to figure everything out on their own.

Currently I have the following hardware: KLOV Vaps Profile Here (New pickups spoiler warning, full list will be on the site soon too)

Sega Naomi 2 w/GD-Rom (Too many carts and discs to list)
Namco System 246 (b) (Tekken 4, Soul Calibur 2 and 3 Arcade Edition)
Namco System 256 with Tekken 5 and 5.1
Sega Model 2 w/ Virtua Fighter 2
Namco System 12 (2 Boards, Tekken 3 & Tag)
Namco System 11 (3 Boards Soul Edge, Tekken 1 & 2)
Tecmo TPS ZN Dead or Alive ++
Capcom ZN-1 Heaven's Gate
SNK Neo Geo King of Fighters 2003 Japanese Jamma Board
(More to come soon)

Getting some of these working were pretty easy since they were just jamma boards but others took quite a bit more. One of the systems (since it was my first) that was hard to get working was Namco System 246. The biggest mistake I had made was using an pc power supply spliced into the jamma harness. Not only was this connection not reliable, the psu didn't provide the amps needed for the quite power hungry system so it would turn off after only having been run for a few minutes to an hour. The solution to this problem came much later. By using an adapter connected to the jvs power supply I had received with my Naomi setup, I was finally able to get 246 running reliably. This of course worked perfectly with my 256 I eventually acquired. Its these month after month headaches I hope to spare people who want to do this kind of crazy arcade stuff.

In the coming weeks and months I will be working out how this will be setup. I am thinking of putting my main sections (dead or alive and arcade) on the top of the links bar and putting all of those console sections under them, thus making my main and more important sections easier to navigate to. I am sure I will figure something out soon enough. Keep an eye on the website for coming changes.

No comments: